Where do I sign up?

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 by billsimmon in politics, the nerd life | 17 Comments

Today on The McCain Report, the official John McCain blog, blogger Michael Goldfarb wrote

It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman’s memory of war from the comfort of mom’s basement, but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others.

Okay, what? There’s a “pro-Obama Dungeons and Dragons crowd?” I want to be a card-carrying member!

This particular slur seemed out of nowhere to me, but then I realized Goldfarb was using D&D in a fake war vs. real war sense — like all of us peaceniks think war is really cool until we’re expected to go and actually fight one.

At first blush I thought it was kind of silly for the McCain camp lump Obama supporters with D&D nerds, but then I considered the audience for the remarks. How does the McCain campaign want the pro-war set to view Obama supporters? How can they make anti-war voters look weak?  The McCain campaign can’t paint with too broad a social brush lest they be accused of being intolerant. They can’t just make fun of those who want peace or they look like war mongers, and they can’t very well come right out and call Obama supporters “pussies” or “sissies.” so what are they to do? What’s the one social group it’s still okay to make fun of? Nerds.  Nerds are weak, ineffectual, cowardly.

I think it’s time to organize.  Nerds for Obama, unite!

UPDATE: look!  We have a t-shirt already!

UPDATE #2: An official group has been created at MyBarackObama.com with logos and everything.  Join us!

1. On August 20, 2008, Charity said:

This isn’t the first time he made that reference. Link.

“Goldfarb compared the editors to a blogger ‘sitting at home in his mother’s basement and ranting into the ether between games of Dungeons & Dragons.’”

I’ve heard that same reference before made about the Daily Kos bloggers. I’m not sure who started it.

2. On August 20, 2008, Doreen said:

go to http://www.barackobama.com
    make your own MYBO (mybarackobama.com) page
    start a group
    invite your friends …
    and there you have it … Be a leader!

3. On August 20, 2008, Wes said:

Doreen,

DONE! The group is now waiting to be approved by an administrator.

4. On August 20, 2008, Wes said:
  5. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Nice. Once it’s approved, let us know here and I’ll post about it and ask people to join.

6. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Anyone want to work on a logo?

7. On August 20, 2008, McE said:

“billsimmon, August 20, 2008:

Anyone want to work on a logo?”

Let’s see if image tags work…

8. On August 20, 2008, McE said:
  9. On August 20, 2008, Beth said:

You guys want a logo? I have a logo for you. :D Whipped it up especially after reading this post.

Feel free to put this on your t-shirts, too. That’s why I made it.

10. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Those are AWESOME logos! It looks like maybe the mybarackobama group got turned down by the powers that be there because it says “invalid group” now instead of “awaiting approval” or whatever it said before.

11. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Aha! It’s working. Go here to join!

12. The group page on Obama has Goldfarb’s first name as David. It should be Michael.

One of you members, please attend. We don’t want the chickenhawk’s chickenhawk ducking any (more) responsibility.

13. (Should have been “on Obama’s site.”

14. Oh, and Beth: Great logo!

15. Hai, Can has Obama for President Cthulu for VP bumper sticker??

Love the D20 logo that’s solid!

16. Aw, this was a really good post. Spending some time
    and actual effort to make a really good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole
    lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.