Where do I sign up?

Posted on Aug 19, 2008 by billsimmon in politics, the nerd life | 27 Comments

Today on The McCain Report, the official John McCain blog, blogger Michael Goldfarb wrote

It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman’s memory of war from the comfort of mom’s basement, but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others.

Okay, what? There’s a “pro-Obama Dungeons and Dragons crowd?” I want to be a card-carrying member!

This particular slur seemed out of nowhere to me, but then I realized Goldfarb was using D&D in a fake war vs. real war sense — like all of us peaceniks think war is really cool until we’re expected to go and actually fight one.

At first blush I thought it was kind of silly for the McCain camp lump Obama supporters with D&D nerds, but then I considered the audience for the remarks. How does the McCain campaign want the pro-war set to view Obama supporters? How can they make anti-war voters look weak?  The McCain campaign can’t paint with too broad a social brush lest they be accused of being intolerant. They can’t just make fun of those who want peace or they look like war mongers, and they can’t very well come right out and call Obama supporters “pussies” or “sissies.” so what are they to do? What’s the one social group it’s still okay to make fun of? Nerds.  Nerds are weak, ineffectual, cowardly.

I think it’s time to organize.  Nerds for Obama, unite!

UPDATE: look!  We have a t-shirt already!

UPDATE #2: An official group has been created at MyBarackObama.com with logos and everything.  Join us!

1. On August 20, 2008, Charity said:

This isn’t the first time he made that reference. Link.

“Goldfarb compared the editors to a blogger ‘sitting at home in his mother’s basement and ranting into the ether between games of Dungeons & Dragons.’”

I’ve heard that same reference before made about the Daily Kos bloggers. I’m not sure who started it.

2. On August 20, 2008, Doreen said:

go to http://www.barackobama.com
    make your own MYBO (mybarackobama.com) page
    start a group
    invite your friends …
    and there you have it … Be a leader!

3. On August 20, 2008, Wes said:

Doreen,

DONE! The group is now waiting to be approved by an administrator.

4. On August 20, 2008, Wes said:
  5. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Nice. Once it’s approved, let us know here and I’ll post about it and ask people to join.

6. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Anyone want to work on a logo?

7. On August 20, 2008, McE said:

“billsimmon, August 20, 2008:

Anyone want to work on a logo?”

Let’s see if image tags work…

8. On August 20, 2008, McE said:
  9. On August 20, 2008, Beth said:

You guys want a logo? I have a logo for you. :D Whipped it up especially after reading this post.

Feel free to put this on your t-shirts, too. That’s why I made it.

10. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Those are AWESOME logos! It looks like maybe the mybarackobama group got turned down by the powers that be there because it says “invalid group” now instead of “awaiting approval” or whatever it said before.

11. On August 20, 2008, billsimmon said:

Aha! It’s working. Go here to join!

12. The group page on Obama has Goldfarb’s first name as David. It should be Michael.

One of you members, please attend. We don’t want the chickenhawk’s chickenhawk ducking any (more) responsibility.

13. (Should have been “on Obama’s site.”

14. Oh, and Beth: Great logo!

15. Hai, Can has Obama for President Cthulu for VP bumper sticker??

Love the D20 logo that’s solid!

16. How to Find Out Who Unfollowed You on Tumblr With Google
    Chrome; Comments You May Also. It makes updates for that Chrome browser effortless, running them in the background without you will being aware in the security fixes.

17. Yahoo's online mail service allows you to gain access to
    your email to both read and send messages from any computer with Internet access.

18. Have been not able to log onto my are the reason for 3 weeks except for your odd occasion in the event it appears to be effective.
    That night, we met five Israeli travelers
    who had just experienced the ‘more’ we had arrived after:
    Deqin.

19. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my blog so i got here to return the want?.I am attempting to in finding issues to enhance my website!I assume its good enough to use a few of your concepts!!

20. I like this post, enjoyed this one thank you for putting up.

21. I merely wanted to thank you again for your amazing web-site you have created here. It is full of ideas for those who are genuinely interested in this particular subject, especially this very post. Your all actually sweet plus thoughtful of others and also reading the blog posts is an excellent delight if you ask me. And thats a generous surprise! Jeff and I usually have excitement making use of your points in what we need to do in a few weeks. Our checklist is a distance long so your tips will be put to excellent use.

22. Awesome post.

23. I think this is among the most significant information for me. And i’m happy studying your article. However wanna observation on few common things, The website taste is great, the articles is in reality great : D. Good job, cheers

24. Some truly nice stuff on this web site, I love it.

25. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to return the prefer?.I’m attempting to find issues to improve my website!I guess its ok to make use of a few of your concepts!!