Time Guitars

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 by billsimmon in guitar, Life of Bill, vermont | 26 Comments

Lately I’ve engaged in a new project. I’m finding out as much information as I can about Vermont-made Time Guitars in the hope of maybe making a short documentary about the company, it’s history and influence, and the lingering mystique of these beautiful instruments. I own a Time GS9 and I love it. It’s the 2nd Time I’ve had over the years and I’ve been a fan of the guitars since I was in high school.

Time built highly engineered, beautiful hand made guitars in Waltham, Burlington and South Burlington, Vermont in the 1970s and 80s.

I’m writing this post because this is the thing that’s occupying a lot of my extra-curricular interest right now, but also because I’m discovering a lot of vague rumors, questions and misinformation out there on the intertubes regarding the company and I’m hoping to tweak the SEO for “Time Guitars” so that curious Googlers will get accurate information. A wikipedia page might just be in the offing.

So if you have found this post looking for info about Time because you own one or you want to own one or you’re a die-hard Phish head who wants to know about the band’s connection to Time, or you’re just curious about these lovely hand made Vermont gems, here are a couple of links to get you the info you’re after…

Chris Clark started working at Time in the 70s as a high school student. He became the general manager at Time after the company’s founder, Alan Stack, left in 1984. He has set up the Time Guitars Owners Forum, which includes a company history, a model identification guide and plenty of opportunities for owners, former employees and fans to share stories, photos and serial numbers. This is your first and best resource for info on Time guitars.

Phish sound man and guitar builder, Paul Languedoc, worked at Time from 1982 to 1986 when the company closed up shop. Currently, Paul builds and sells astoundingly beautiful guitars (still using some of the techniques he learned at Time) in his workshop in Vermont.

There is a facebook group for fans of these guitars too. If you’re on facebook, search the groups for “Time Guitar Fans.”

If you’re still confused or looking for more/different information, feel free to drop me a line and I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

1. Bill,
    How is the documentary coming along? I hope you’re getting some help from all the Time people out there. There has to be at least a couple of hundred owners and players out there. Maybe this will inspire them to act and canonize these wonderful instruments. Some info for you: the very first”prototype” Time bass, made for Jimmy Carter in 1979 was stolen in NYC in the spring of 1980 along with a Time GS12, a Veleno, a Roger Borys made $ shaped, green guitar and a BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme. There is a story about it in May 2009 Guitar World Magazine. Keep me in the loop about your progress!
    Cosmic Joe

2. On April 30, 2010, Gareth Fox Jr said:

My name is Gareth and my dad gareth worked at willis construction company
    and the barn time was in was on the same property in williston and i’ve always wanted a time guitar since the first time i saw one still looking but ill talk with my dad and see if i can get some names for you or details cause my dad used to visit with the boys who made them give me an email
    cause it was a tragedy when we lost time forever and i believe it was destroyed during a rash of arson fires around the area

3. I always had an interest in Time Guitars, back in the 70′s i was invited over i think it was by owner.
    They were looking into useing my company (New England Paint and Metal now New England Coating)to aply urethanes/coatings on the guitars.
    They gave me a tour (the old dairy barn)of how they were made.
    I never did know what they ended up doing.
    I knoticed that they were at one in Waltham VT I would love to know where.

4. On September 21, 2012, Casey Dennis said:

Hi Bill…I hope you make this documentary, I’d love to see it! I own one Time, a bass that Alan made for me in 1977. I still love it and use it for recording.

5. On February 25, 2013, JIM KALLENBACH said:

there is a time guitar i am interested in info. on …. it is early 80′s with a checkerboard perfulling. a soft brown , WITH ALL ELECTRONICS. MY HOME PHONE IS 704.843. 8733 ASK FOR JIM I AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON THIS GUITAR, THANKS.

6. On March 6, 2013, billsimmon said:

Jim, I sent you an email.

7. On March 18, 2013, michael said:

Hi Bill
    Just wanted to tell you I have the twin of your guitar purchased on main street Burlington in 1983 still have the original case and works great with a line 6 amp or 69 fender vibrachamp just stopped into advanced music to see if I could have a couple of blemishes fixed (dart accident about 20 years ago) great guitar….. just checked the internet after all these years to see if there was any info and found your site. I worked with Robert Resnick years ago at artec in Shelburne never made the connection that he worked for time…. anyway just thought I would say hi

8. On March 18, 2013, billsimmon said:

Hi Michael!

What’s your guitar’s serial number? We’re keeping track of them in a google doc that you can fine linked from the Facebook fan page and timeguitars.com.

Main St. in BTV in ’83? Was it purchased at Boyd’s Music?

9. On March 19, 2013, michael said:

Hi Bill
    Can’t remember the store other than I believe in was near Nector’s on the same side of the street. I can’t find any sign of a serial number but it looks identical to the picture of yours. I actually traded a Martin acoustical in the purchase. I am guessing 83 or 84 moved to Vermont in 82. I also believe the price was in the 900.00 to 950.00 range and was sold to me as new.

10. On March 19, 2013, billsimmon said:

Yes, that was Boyd’s music on the corner of Main and South Winooski. It’s a Mr. Mike’s Pizza now.

I moved to Burlington in August of 83 (age 14) and remember the main street layout well.

You can find the s/n by taking a screwdriver and lowering the pickup closest to the neck. If it’s like most Times (inc. mine) the s/n will be written in pen or pencil along with the month and year of production right on the base of the neck behind the pickup. You’ll want to take the strings off for this maneuver. Take some pictures! Either post them to the timeguitars.com forum or the facbook group or email them to me and I can post them for you!

11. On March 20, 2013, michael said:

Hi bill
    will do. I hate to take anything apart if it still works but I will give it a shot.

thanks for the info

12. On October 22, 2013, Steven LaValley said:

Purchased 5 TIME electrics and 1
    AF acoustic between 1976-1986.

Still have GS-12 #029
    and AF 0014

Was the original owner of the guitar
    that Steve Nolan has posted photos of.

13. On October 23, 2013, Steven LaValley said:

Does anyone know of someone that has
    experience and knowledge to restore a
    GS-12 to like new condition.

If so could you please contact?

Steve LaValley
    aslavalley@aol.com

Thanks

14. On April 11, 2014, Daniel Mortensen said:

I picked up a starburst GS-9 standard in 1984 for $250 at the Burlington Square Mall. It doesn’t have the phase switches, but what a beautiful guitar. I aways felt the GS was their signiture guitar. The later models were nice, but they got too BC Rich for my tastes. I went upstairs at the Barn and had them install a Kahler tremolo with a palm bar and locking nut. I had them tweak it like five times, but they were always friendly. I still have the original case, though I replaced the cloth with faux leopard skin when my cat peed in it. The thing stil wails, even with my piece-of-shit Roland Cube 15. My fifteen-year-old recently showed it to one of his friends, who pronounced it “tight”.

15. I pay a quick visit everyday some websites and blogs to read articles, but
    this weblog offers quality based content.

16. Usually I don’t learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this
    write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it!

Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you,
    very great article.

17. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the long run and it’s time to
    be happy. I have read this put up and if I may just I want
    to suggest you some fascinating issues or suggestions.
    Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article.
    I want to learn even more issues about it!

18. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and
    let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading
    correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the
    same outcome.

19. Excellent web site. A lot of useful information here.
    I am sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thanks in your sweat!

20. rear bumper and brackets and replaced it with a 65″ long 3″ dia.

The compressors found at the back of refrigerators and Air Conditioners are solely
    responsible for transmitting power into a usable form that keeps our food fresh
    and room cooler. About a hundred,000 BTU’s of quiet, clear-blowing heated air will do exactly fantastic.

21. Once more, you will find just a lot of things that you do not know
    or need to know. A kitchen must provide an efficient working place,
    even while it looks good. Therefore, you will input 1 in cells B8, C8,
    D8, and J8.

22. Kitchen Emporium performs custom carpentry, and will even handle countertops and tile,
    if you want them to. If you have a home built in the 60′s or 70′s chances are you have
    no window trim around your window. For instance, in preparing for
    foods, knives might be used.

23. By reducing the size of the internal fat deposits the skin can and will appear flatter and smoother.

Loss of muscle tone is often more significant in the lower extremities, leading to a decreased ability to walk and
    balance yourself, which then leads to a greater risk of falls and other injuries.
    The treatment comes in both drops and injections, which are given by a doctor.

24. Fruits are great and I would never discourage my patients from eating
    fruit, but if your objective is to lose weight then they have to be eliminated,
    as they prevent Ketosis. Believe it or not, many dieters claimed that you can see the result in less than a week; you can actually loss 1 to
    3 pounds each day. The HCG diet is a diet plan comprising of
    the intake of HCG with a diet plan that was created by ATW Simeons almost 60 years ago.

25. Hi there! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.

Does managing a well-established website like yours require
    a lot of work? I’m completely new to writing a blog but I do write
    in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share
    my personal experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring
    bloggers. Thankyou!

26. You can now find a quality android tablet for about $200.

This easy accessibility and speed have led to further research and development for companies and helped them to stay
    much ahead of the competition. Shredder Chess is visually
    quite impressive as well and is one of the best Android chess
    apps right now.