OMG Comcast sucks ass reprise

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 by billsimmon in annoying, fail | 8 Comments

Just a quick update on last nights’s frustrated Comcast post: today representatives from Comcast customer service who read my blog post (aren’t Google alerts useful?) called and left not one but two voicemail messages on my landline offering to “help resolve the issue” and (here’s the creepy part) one on my cell phone. How the hell did they get my cell number? I don’t publish it. Anywhere. (UPDATE: it turns out it is published at billsimmon.com — my bad.)

On the one hand, Comcast’s campaign of using social media to address customer complaints is shrewd (though as discussed over at The Contrarian, only as good as their ability to actually improve service following public complaints). On the other hand, it seems a bit like a crass attempt to stick a smiley face sticker on a turd. Also, it seems a might unfair that bloggers and twitter users get their concerns addressed while most other people just get the turd sans smiley face.

So, Comcast customer support, since I know you’re reading this post, your website is confusing and misleading. There is no issue left to resolve with me specifically, since I now know that the website is basically useless to me, but perhaps you can consider a redesign and help the next poor sap who signs up hoping to view their billing history, or a breakdown of the services they’re paying for, or for that matter do anything other than merely pay the dollar amount stated under “view my bill.” Thanks for reading, and please don’t call my cell phone again (though I’d be delighted if you left a comment here telling me how you obtained that number[UPDATE: see the comments -- they did]).

1. I realize we’ve already reached out to you and all of that happy jazz. We are working on making BOTH of our sites more “usable” and friendly to our customers. Sorry to hear you’ve had such an un-fun experience!

2. On April 8, 2009, Casey said:

Testify, brother. A Twitter “team” does not a competent corporation make.

Comcast Bonnie has the cutest way with words, doesn’t she? Like a 7th-grade cheerleader possessed by Peggy Noonan.

Jazz! Un-fun! Gag.

3. On April 9, 2009, ComcastMark said:

Hello Bill,

I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable receiving a message on your cell phone. It was not my intention to alarm you. I just wanted to offer my assistance.

Thanks for the feedback regarding our website. I have already shared your experience with the appropriate department for evaluation. Hopefully, you will see the improvements soon.

In response to how I obtained your cell phone number, I got your contact info from your website, under the contact tab (http://billsimmon.com/contact/).

Best Regards,

Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

4. On April 9, 2009, billsimmon said:

Ha! Okay Mark, thank you for clearing that up!. I’d completewly forgotten that I put my cell # on my billsimmon.com site. That does put me at ease (I’d assumed you went into my service records and pulled it from some time I’d needed a service call to the house — they call the cell to say they’re coming… sometimes).

The two comments from Comcast here plus the three voicemail messages and one tweet does seem to be a rather… aggressive customer service response. I commend that level of effort, but reiterate that it seems disproportionate compared to the standard response I’ve gotten from direct phone calls to the company with my issues. In a way, you’re encouraging blogged complaints. I have gotten a much more urgent response to my public criticisms than I ever did to my direct, private ones. I guess I should air my complaints publicly all the time now (not really, but you see the point I’m making?).

Glad to hear a redesign is in the offing.

5. On April 18, 2010, Marlene Koitzsch said:

WOW ! I think comcast Bonnie could use a lesson or two in customer relations. Her “people” skills are absolutly non-existant! Comcast corp. should be ashamed! As to your support sevices and online bill view,… again, you should be ashamed comcast! A redesign, with a break-down on our charges and our calls is much needed. good luck

6. On April 30, 2010, Donna Beyer said:

I am glad (not that I had much doubt) to see I am not alone in hating comcast, from the bait+ switch sales job to our bill jumping 50% from our agreement in a few months. I declare loudly and at every possible opportunity that comcast sucks. (despite a supervisor telling me “I had better not”) Thanks for the forum.

7. On July 24, 2011, Clint Rogers said:

Comcast has the worst customer service ever i will never use their service again after next month evry 4 months they dont get my payment and say iys not their fault BUllshit the U.S. mail service does not consistently not deliver mail. This time they didn’t get my check or the three free vouchers for free in-demand rentals how convenantly shitty of them me and my entire family in numerous states are all going to switch to Direct TV or another competitor. COMCAST SUCKS!!

8. I feel that is one of the so much vital information for
    me. And i’m satisfied studying your article.

But want to statement on some normal things, The website taste is
    ideal, the articles is in reality nice : D. Excellent job, cheers