My friends Ian and Rae asked Emily and me to brunch tomorrow in Burlington, and since they live in Bristol, they asked for us to make some brunch recommendations. I’m somewhat opinionated about this particular subject, so I listed my favorite brunch places thusly (quoting my email to them)…
Emily and I like different things for brunch. She tends to like a sweet brunch — french toast and fruit, for example — while I prefer an eggy, savory brunch. So Emily may not agree with the following list of best brunch spots.
My bias is to stick with places that do breakfast seven days a week. The once-a-week omelets just don’t cut it. Here goes:
1. Sneakers in Winooski – best breakfast in the BTV area and has been for at least 10 years
2. Penny Cluse in BTV – a solid 2nd place. A slight southwestern flair here and when the weather turns cold they offer amazing fresh squeezed tangerine juice.
3. On the Rise in Richmond – hippy vibe, so lots of good veggie fare. Delicious breads.
4. Magnolia in BTV – lots of good vegetarian options.
5. Country Pantry in Fairfax – homestyle. The waitresses call you “hon.” Hot open face roast beef for breakfast! Killer Benedict.
6. Sadie Katz in BTV – Jewish deli with excellent latkes and a great vegan mushroom barley soup. Emily digs the challah french toast. Not sure how early they stop serving breakfast on Sundays.
7. Mirabelle’s on Main St. in BTV – a bakery with a french aesthetic. Good sandwiches and their breakfast is just fine.
8. Chef’s Corner in Williston – Sort of like Mirabelle’s but in Williston.
In response to this, Rae went ahead and made a handy flowchart we can follow whenever we want to do brunch. I present it here as a public service for those who care about their Sunday eggs: